Feed on
Posts
Comments
7-Eleven in Taiwan

7-Eleven in Taiwan

Kobina Amoo: 7-Eleven and Krispy Kreme in Taiwan

While on this international trip I found it so interesting that businesses that I thought were going out of business or only holding on with a few locations are thriving in Taiwan and Thailand. How can this be? Do Americans support businesses until we get enough or until we find something new? Or maybe the people in Taiwan and Thailand appreciate when a business comes from the states and that’s why they support them?  I’m not sure of the answer and maybe you have more insight on it than I do but to see 7eleven and Krispy Cream Donuts in business in a foreign land but in business with lines out the door.

After long flights and one layover, our first business visit was to The American Institute in Taiwan.  After a very informative meeting with Ms. Youqing Ma, Commercial Officer, she began by to telling us about a one stop shop store where you can do everything.  7eleven, I could not believe what I was hearing. “7evlevn the corner store from the states?” is what I said to myself.  Ms. Ma just raved about how you can get great coffee that’s better than Starbucks from 7eleven.  In addition to coffee you can pay your electric bill and get concert tickets all from the great 7eleven.  I could not believe what I was hearing, I can’t remember the last time I was in a 7eleven but I know it had to be sometime in the 90’s.

Krispy Cream Donuts, the donut company that took America by storm had some great years then in a blink of an eye; they were closing stores left and right. I remember when I first moved to Tampa, FL and saw a Krispy Cream open for business I could not believe it.  Now to see this donut shop that I thought failed; having lines out the door on the other side of the world is mind blowing to me.  When I say lines out the door I mean literally out the door.

Line up at a Krispy Kreme in Taipei, Taiwan

I know many companies take their businesses internationally.  The businesses that we perceive to be doing well we expect those companies to have a presence in land other than the United States.  To me this is a great example of trying an idea or the one thing you have been sitting on for years, because you never know where it may take you.  If Americans can’t see your vision maybe another culture will.

Be Sociable, Share!