Feed on
Posts
Comments

Make just one change

Just making one change in your daily routine could make you happier and more productive at work. That is, according to Shawn Achor, author of The Happiness Advantage, who maintains that happiness is a choice.

Stetson University Executive MBA alumnus Penny Miller of Cohort 7 found out about his book and wants to pass along Achor’s ideas to her fellow alumni.

The article she passed along recommended adding one of the following to your daily routine for three weeks:

• Write down three new things you are grateful for each day;

• Write for two minutes a day describing one positive experience you had over the past 24 hours;

• Exercise for 10 minutes a day;

• Meditate for two minutes, focusing on your breath going in and out;

• Write one quick email first thing in the morning thanking or praising someone in your social support network (family member, friend, old teacher).

The article explained that, in a study, the group of people who added in one of these activities had a better general sense of well-being within three weeks. Within four months of incorporating the exercise, they had a significantly higher life satisfaction score.

“I will be working on a new habit or two,” said Miller. “I can handle writing down three things I’m grateful for and a quick thank-you note every morning. Seems those two make sense together!”

After several weeks, Miller had kept up the new habit. “I have continued to note three things I’m grateful for and send a thank-you note each workday,” she explained. “I’ll admit sometimes I make up for missed notes later in the week. I’ve had some busy and challenging days over the past couple of months and it really does help. Plus I’ve shared this article with some co-workers in hopes that they too will make the choice to be happier at work which will only help me.”

If you try adding in one of the exercises, let us know! We’d love to hear how it goes.

And if you have articles, books or ideas you’d like to share with Stetson students and alumni, e-mail program coordinator Wendy Lowe at wlowe@stetson.edu.

Be Sociable, Share!