In a very short time, many families across the country will be celebrating an American tradition, as well as one of my favorite holidays, Thanksgiving. This is such a wonderful time of year filled with family, friends and delicious food. It is a time when we take a moment out of our busy lives to give thanks for all that we have and for the people we hold close in our thoughts. Thanksgiving is about giving thanks for the people and blessings of the past year. From pre-meal prayers to providing meals to the homeless, the holiday is truly a celebration of praise and thanking. I made a promise to myself several years ago to say thank you more often, to let people know that they have made a difference in my life and since I can’t do that in person I wanted to send my gratitude through this letter.
This year, I want to take a moment to thank you. I want to thank you for your Stetson University student. Because of your student’s leadership and commitment to Stetson, I have had the opportunity to get to know and further appreciate them for their hard work and dedication to the Stetson Community. Of course, I have not met every student on the Stetson University campus, but the student population is what makes Stetson so special.
I am honored to serve Stetson University as the Vice President of Student Affairs and I appreciate all of the students that I have had the opportunity to work with. However, I have realized that I need to be more diligent in thanking not only the students, but also their families, who have guided and supported these young adults. Because of all you have done and continue to do, your child has become an intricate part of our community.
Please accept my fond appreciation and thanks for your Stetson University student’s efforts and achievements on making this community a wonderful place.
I hope you have a wonderful holiday season.
Vice President of Student Affairs
We are at the mid-way point in the semester, as mid-term grades will be released very shortly to your student. Many students find the competition and quantity of work required in college courses a surprise. It takes time to adjust to increased academic demands and students often feel overwhelmed by the challenge. Even the brightest and best high school student will find the adjustment to college life and academics a challenge. What can parents do?
- Listen to your student’s feelings about their classes and grades.
- Remember that students tend to mirror back your level of anxiety. Calmness is contagious.
- Empathize with your student’s anxiety about the workload at college.
- Reassure your student that you know they are capable of handling college-level work.
- Encourage your student to take the initiative to obtain help. This is very important
- Encourage your student to talk to the professor or teaching assistant about the course that he/she is concerned with. The student should take advantage of the office hours that they provide.
- Suggest that the student seek help through the Academic Success Center or through Student Success.
- Have your student make an appointment with their academic advisor or a faculty advisor within their major. They will be able to offer support and encouragement.
- Study groups and mentors can also be very helpful.
- If your student is still having trouble coping and are not taking suggestions, Stetson University offers support at the Counseling Services, 386-822-8900.
Welcome to Stetson University! As a parent of a Stetson Hatter, you are now part of a wonderful community! We want your son or daughter to have an enriching and successful collegiate experience. Go Hatters!
Stetson University believes that parental support will aid student success. With that in mind, Stetson University has created a site that is dedicated to parents. Over the next couple of months, you will receive an email blast that will prompt you to review new information pertaining to you and your family. It is my hope that you will find this information valuable and useful as you navigate the Stetson experience.
We hope that you take advantage of the services and resources that Stetson University provides. We are a one stop shop for students, parents and families and our goal is to:
- Foster parent relationships with the university
- Provide opportunities for parent involvement in the Stetson University Community
- Distribute information on college student development and trends
- Communicate regularly with parents in order to prepare you on the Stetson Experience
- Enhance the student experience by building these connections with parents
Our vision is to fully integrate Hatter parents into the university community. We are excited to have you join our family and we look forward to working with you and your student. Below you will find a link to the Vice President of Student Affairs Blog, as well as the link to the Stetson University Parent website. These two sites will be important sites to mark as your favorites, as they will be updated on a regular basis with helpful information.
Bookmark these for easy access:
Welcome to Stetson University!
Christopher M. Kandus-Fisher
Vice President of Student Affairs