Dear New Adjunct Faculty,
I am honored to be able to welcome you to the Stetson faculty. Stetson’s faculty, a wonderfully talented group of teacher-scholars, form the cornerstone of an inclusive community deeply committed to academic excellence and student learning. On their behalf, I welcome you as a new colleague!
I myself just recently joined Stetson as the Executive Director of the Brown Center for Faculty Innovation and Excellence. The Center is available to you as you develop your courses and learn to navigate the university. You can learn more about our offerings by following the Stetson Faculty blog. Below you will find some resources and information you will find useful as you prepare for your first semester, including information about your orientation on August 18.
- New Adjunct Faculty Orientation
Where: Sage Hall 222 – SCALE UP Classroom
When: Thursday, August 18, 2014, 8:30 am – 2:30 pm (breakfast available at 8:15 am)
- In order for us to best prepare your orientation , please complete short pre-flection and registration at this link before August 1st. Syllabus PreparationI am aware that you are busily preparing your fall courses! Please visit the “Teaching at Stetson” site at for access to the academic calendar and other relevant policies. You will want to pay particular attention to the Syllabus Guidelines as you develop yours. In addition, you can find relevant academic policies on the Office of the Registrar’s website.
Over the next few weeks, the Office of Academic Affairs (386-822-7010) will be more than happy to assist if you have questions during your transition to Stetson. You will also find many more helpful resources on the Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs website and the Human Resources website. In addition, I have added below some meeting and event dates you may wish to add to your calendar.
I am thrilled to be able to welcome you to Stetson University and look forward to getting to know each of you!
In good faith,
Brown Center for Faculty Innovation and Excellence
For your calendar …
- Library Annual Reception: Aug 19, 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM
- A casual drop-in, drop-out event with light refreshments. Families and friends welcome. New faculty are welcomed to campus as we celebrate faculty accomplishments. Remarks will occur at 4:15 PM.
- Monthly Faculty Excellence Seminar Series
- The Faculty Excellence Seminar Series will provide ongoing orientation, faculty development and mentoring throughout your first year. The seminars provide opportunities for you to meet and engage with wonderful colleagues from across the disciplines and beyond Stetson.
- University Faculty Meetings
- Faculty meet on the third Friday of each month at 12:00 PM in Rinker Auditorium.
- Values Day: Sep 20 (no classes)
- Values Day is a day dedicated to the university’s commitment to its core values–personal growth, intellectual development and global citizenship.
- Hand Art Center
- The Hand Art Center offers a series of creative exhibits throughout the year. Admission is free and open to the public. Upcoming exhibits include:
- Aquiferious, featuring the work of Gainesville, Fla., artist Margaret Ann Tolbert;
- Faculty Focus on Gary Bolding, who has taught painting and drawing at Stetson since 1989
- Dream Garden, a collaborative project by new media artist Matt Roberts, poet Terri Witek, and software developer Michael Branton to gather, graft and nurture Stetson’s dreams. stetson.inthedreamgarden.com
- School of Music concerts
- Your Stetson ID provides you free admission to School of Music concerts throughout the year, kicking off with performances by School of Music faculty at the Friends of Music Season Premiere Concert on August 26 at 7:30 PM in the stunning Lee Chapel located in Elizabeth Hall.