Turn your daily grind into a publication
The Scholarship of Teaching of Learning (SoTL) is the systematic inquiry of student learning using appropriate methodology – informed by prior scholarship – and going public with the results. Please RSVP below for the first in a series of workshops on SoTL.
- Practice: Approaching work with students as a systematic study of learning.
- Integration: Integrating diverse perspectives and modalities into the work of teaching and learning.
- Higher Education: Study of organizational development and how it impacts student learning.
- Synthesis: Collecting knowledge and evidence to develop materials to disseminate for broader use in the field.
We invite you to a workshop on January 12th, 8:30-noon where we will help you refine the work you do at Stetson into a systematic inquiry that can be published. Please RSVP at this link.
- Dr. Peter Felten, Elon University
Assistant Provost, Executive Director of the Center for the Advancement of Teaching & Learning & Center for Engaged Learning
- Dr. Heather Edwards, Stetson University
Visiting Assistant Professor of Mathematics
- Dr. Julia Metzker, Stetson University
Executive Director, Brown Center for Faculty Innovation & Excellence
- Dr. Rosalie Richards, Stetson University
Associate Provost for Faculty Development
Participants who complete the workshop series will be eligible to apply for small grants to support their work.
- SoTL 101 & idea exploration – Jan 12, 8:30-noon
- Refining your question & literature review – Feb 3, 2-5pm
- Workshop 3: Choosing your methodology – Feb 24, 2-5pm
- Workshop 4: Resources & dissemination – Mar 31, 2-5pm
- SoTL Roundtable at 2017 Colloquium – Apr 7
The workshop series will complete in May, 2017 so that you can use the summer to execute your work. A peer-led learning community will be formed to support your work over the summer.
Felten, P. (2013). Principles of good practice in SoTL. Teaching and Learning Inquiry: The ISSOTL Journal, 1(1), 121-125. (pdf)
Cruz, L. (2016). The Scholarship of Educational Development: A Taxonomy. To Improve the Academy, 35(2), 222-228.
Poole, G. (2013). Square one: What is research? In K. McKinney (Ed.), The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in and Across the Disciplines. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press. 135-151.
Chick, N. (n.d.). SoTL Guide – a guide from the Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning. Retrieved December 15, 2016, from http://sotl.ucalgaryblogs.ca/
Research in Action Podcast. (2016). RIA #19: Dr. Peter Felten on Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) – Ecampus Research Unit | Oregon State University. In Research In Action Podcast. Oregon State University. Retrieved from http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/research/podcast/e19/