The Course Design for Essential Learning workshop series continues today: Monday, March 12 in LBC 136*. In this workshop, we will develop inclusive assignments and activities that challenge.
*LBC 136 is a little tricky to find. Walk through the LBC lobby out the back doors across the lobby into the annex.
A few things you should know …
- The series is cumulative. I encourage you to attend all the workshops in the series but I also recognize we are busy people with competing demands.
- Each workshop has a focus. Each workshop is designed to focus on a particular piece of course design. If you have to make hard choices, shoot for the workshops where you need the most help.
- Commit to working on a single course. Everything you learn is transferrable but I’ve found it is more impactful if the course you are working on is a consistent thread throughout the series.
- Bring your experience. As educators who have experiences in the classroom, you will have valuable experiences to share. You will learn from each other.
- The reflection workshop is REALLY fun!
The workshop schedule
Lynn Business Center Room 136
- What’s the Big Idea? – engage students through complex dilemmas, issues and questions.
Monday, February 5 – 1:30 -3pm
- Essential Learning Goals – write learning goals that are appropriately challenging, foster critical thinking and prepare students for success as global citizens.
Monday, February 19 – 1:30-3pm
- High-impact Teaching – develop inclusive assignments and activities that challenge.
Monday, March 12 – 1:30-3pm
- Authentic Assessment– create assessments that reliably measure student learning, promote critical thinking, improve your grading experience.
Monday, March 26 – 1:30-3pm
- Reflect & Share – share your work with your peers. (It’s a good time!)
Monday, April 23 – 1:30 – 3pm
All workshops will be held in LBC 136