January 5-9, 2019
This engaging 5-day institute at Stetson University in sunny Deland, Florida is designed to provide college educators with the time, resources, and intensive support to build courses anchored in research that …
- are intentionally designed around a dilemma, issue, or question.
- focus on general learning outcomes.
- incorporate high-impact practices.
- are inclusive of all students.
- assess student learning authentically and transparently.
Optional Post-Institute Credential in Teaching General Education Courses
During the year following the institute, participants who wish to participate in the certificate program will be divided into small interdisciplinary learning communities. Each participant will develop a teaching portfolio that demonstrates evidence of student learning. The facilitators will provide support, feedback, structure, and virtual meetings as well as a carefully curated bibliography of resources.
- Julia Metzker, Executive Director for the Brown Center for Faculty Innovation and Excellence at Stetson University
- Cynthia Alby, Professor of Teacher Education at Georgia College and Lead Instructor for Georgia’s Governor’s Teaching Fellows program
- Caralyn Zehnder, Lecturer in Biology at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and founding member of ICb-G, the Innovative Course-building Group
- Alicia Slater, Chair and Professor of Biology and University Director of Curriculum and Assessment at Stetson University
The institute will take place from January 5-9, 2019, at Stetson University. Stetson University’s DeLand campus is located approximately half-way between Daytona Beach and Orlando, just off of I-4 in the Sunshine State of Florida. [MAP]
Central Florida is a wonderful place to explore. Local attractions include the many theme parks in Orlando, a series of beautiful natural springs, and of course the lovely beaches along the Atlantic shoreline. For these and more: visitcentralflorida.org
Registration is now open. Early-bird rate ($1000) expires on November 15, 2018. Registration fee includes breakfast and lunch each day, an opening reception, and all institute materials.
421 North Woodland Boulevard
DeLand, FL 32723
Stetson University is close to several airports that can serve your needs. There are several shuttle services available for transport from the airport, however, we recommend renting a car.
- Daytona Beach International Airport (24 miles)
- Orlando Sanford International Airport (36 miles)
- Orlando International Airport (57 miles)
Hampton Inn & Suites
20 Summit Oak Place
DeLand, FL 32720
215 S. Woodland Blvd.
DeLand, Florida 32720
400 E International Speedway Blvd.
DeLand, FL 32724
Area hotels do not have courtesy vans for transportation to campus. Primo Taxi is one option for local travel. An approximate fare for one way to Stetson University from the Hampton or Comfort Inn is $8.