Certificate in Course
Design for Essential Learning
A credential for faculty who teach General Education courses
January 9-12, 2018
Logistics | Registration
The Brown Center for Faculty Innovation and Excellence at Stetson University is thrilled to announce a new Course Design Institute and Certification Program. If you are devoted to developing students into liberally educated, global citizens who can think creatively and critically about complex issues through General Education courses, please consider attending this dynamic 4-day certification institute. Included in the registration fee ($900), is an optional credential for teaching General Education courses (see below).
Faculty and instructional staff that teach interdisciplinary courses, General Education and/or first-year seminars may be particularly interested in obtaining this qualification.
This program provides a credential that can be used as documentation of excellence in course design. Faculty and instructional staff that teach interdisciplinary courses, general education and/or first-year seminars may be particularly interested in obtaining this qualification.
This certificate initiates with a 4-day face-to-face course design institute at Stetson University in Deland, Florida. Here faculty will have the time, resources, and intensive support to build courses anchored in research that:
- are intentionally designed around a dilemma, issue, or question.
- focus on general learning outcomes.
- incorporate high-impact practices.
- are inclusive of all students.
- assess student learning authentically and transparently.
Dates & Location
The institute will take place from January 9 through 12, 2018, at Stetson University. Stetson University’s DeLand campus is located approximately half-way between Daytona Beach and Orlando, just off of I-4 in the Sunshine State of Florida. [MAP]
Registration is now open. The early-bird rate ($900) expires on December 1st, 2017 . Registration fee includes breakfast and lunch each day, an opening reception, and all institute materials. The institute is limited to 40 people, so register early!
Optional Post-Institute Credential in Teaching General Education Courses
During the year following the institute, participants interested in obtaining a teaching credential will be divided into small interdisciplinary learning communities. Participants will develop a portfolio that demonstrates evidence of student learning to earn a credential in teaching General Education courses. The facilitators will be available to provide support, feedback, structure, and virtual meetings as well as a carefully curated bibliography of resources.
- Julia Metzker, Executive Director for the Brown Center for Faculty Innovation and Excellence at Stetson University
- Cynthia Alby, Professor of Teacher Education at Georgia College and Lead Instructor for Georgia’s Governor’s Teaching Fellows program
- Caralyn Zehnder, Lecturer in Biology at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and founding member of ICb-G, the Innovative Course-building Group
- Alicia Slater, Chair and Professor of Biology and University Director of Curriculum and Assessment at Stetson University
Travel & Logistics
Click here for information for planning your trip to sunny DeLand, FL!