Course Design for Essential Learning
An institute for faculty who teach General Education courses
January 5-9, 2019
Meaningful learning experiences don’t just happen, they need to be intentionally designed.
Imagine faculty who are engaged and empowered to transform students’ lives. Imagine classrooms where students are engaged in high-impact practices as they examine socially-relevant dilemmas, issues or questions.
- Use capacious Dilemmas, Issues & Questions (DIQs) to frame their course;
- Construct higher-order learning goals that foster critical thinking, and prepare students to be successful global citizens;
- Develop inclusive assignments and activities that appropriately challenge students;
- Create assessments that reliably measure student learning, promote critical thinking, and improve their grading experience;
- Build an inclusive teaching practices toolbox; and
- Share with peers.
- Julia Metzker, Executive Director for the Brown Center for Faculty Innovation and Excellence at Stetson University
- Cynthia Alby, Professor of Teacher Education at Georgia College and Lead Instructor for Georgia’s Governor’s Teaching Fellows program
- Caralyn Zehnder, Lecturer in Biology at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and founding member of ICb-G, the Innovative Course-building Group
- Alicia Slater, Dean of the School of Science at Marist University
The institute will take place from January 5-9, 2019, at Stetson University. Stetson University’s DeLand campus is located approximately half-way between Daytona Beach and Orlando, just off of I-4 in the Sunshine State of Florida. [MAP]
Central Florida is a wonderful place to explore. Local attractions include the many theme parks in Orlando, a series of beautiful natural springs, and of course the lovely beaches along the Atlantic shoreline. For these and more: visitcentralflorida.org
Registration is now open. Early-bird rate ($900) expires on December 1, 2018. Registration fee includes breakfast and lunch each day, an opening reception, and all institute materials.
421 North Woodland Boulevard
DeLand, FL 32723
Stetson University is close to several airports that can serve your needs. There are several shuttle services available for transport from the airport, however, we recommend renting a car.
- Daytona Beach International Airport (24 miles)
- Orlando Sanford International Airport (36 miles)
- Orlando International Airport (57 miles)
DeLand Courtyard Marriott*
308 N. Woodland
DeLand, FL 32720
(Group rates available in October)
*Hotel is 0.5 miles from institute location