Spotlight Series: Madison Creech Presents Wednesday, March 21

On Wednesday, March 21 The Spotlight Series continues with Madison Creech, Brown Teacher-Scholar Fellow. She will be discussing her topic: Finding My Voice When Collaboration Is My Creative Practice

Date: Wednesday, March 21, 2018
Time: 12 pm – 1 pm (lunch served at 11:30 am)
Location: Lynn Business Center Boardroom (LBC 213)
All are welcome!

Click here for a complete schedule of Spotlight Series.

Finding My Voice When Collaboration Is My Creative Practice

Collaboration gives me a window into another creative mind, into the usually private studio decisions, mistakes, and uncertain elements before they are erased. Collaborating is luxurious in that way; through observation, my years of art experience can be multiplied. In my practice, I’ve learned there are one of two results that will happen in collaboration. The first result produces art that favors one artist over the other. It becomes obvious which artist was dominant and took the lead on the project. The second result I reference Marina Abramovic and Ulay, in which a third artist is born out of the interactions of the two collaborating artists.  In my opinion, neither result is better than the other; both results are valid and natural.  I often find my voice quietly in arranging others’ images into patterns, into animations, or onto a malleable surface like fabric. In this presentation I will give you a peek inside my creative practice and the influence collaboration continues to make on my personal portfolio.

Madison Creech, Brown Teacher-Scholar Fellow, holds an MFA in fibers from Arizona State University and a BFA and BS in textile, merchandising, and fashion design from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. She has served as faculty associate at Arizona State University, instructing surface design, and has held residencies at Houston Center for Contemporary Craft and Techshop, in Chandler, Arizona. Her work has been widely exhibited across the country, including the 31st Annual Materials Hard and Soft at Denton Arts, This Must Be the Place at the Robert Hillestad Textile Gallery and Future Fabrication: SDA International Exhibition In Print. For more information about Madison Creech, please visit, http://www.creechers.com/.

Spotlight Series

The Spotlight Series at Stetson University is a showcase of faculty research, creative inquiry, and other scholarly engagement to the campus community. Presenters are primarily recipients of grant awards through the Stetson Summer Grant Program.